My Version of Hot Cocoa for a Wheat-free (Wheat Belly) Diet
Posted on Thursday, January 17th, 2013
When you’re eating wheat-free or on the Wheat Belly Diet, you’re going to have to experiment with different recipes to find out what tastes good to you. I love hot chocolate with flavored creamer, and needed to find a substitute. After several different tweaks, I’ve found a combination that definitely satisfies my craving for hot cocoa.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (I use Original Silk; Vanilla Unsweetened is even better)
- 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon of xylitol OR 1 packet of Truvia
- 4-5 drops of NuNaturals alcohol-free liquid Vanilla stevia
- Add unsweetened cocoa and sweeteners to a cup.
- Add a very small amount of water so that you can mix the cocoa and sugars into a somewhat liquidy paste.
- Add the almond milk.
- Stir well, and then microwave the contents for 60 seconds.
- Remove and stir.
- Microwave for another 35 seconds.
This wheat free, sugar free hot cocoa is such a treat. Play with the flavor – try adding cinnamon powder, vanilla extract, or even black pepper.
- Slightly thicker than your typical Swiss Miss Packets
- Mimics drinking chocolates, in my opinion
- Creates a tasty foam on top
- Low-calorie – 37 calories when using the Silk.
- You can make homemade whipped cream as a topping by whipping heavy cream.